Friday 30 January 2015

creating packaging

This week I have been developing ideas for the house-shaped boxes for my final scarves. After researching similar house-shaped packaging I decided to combine my two favourite box designs together so that my box will be unique and innovative.
This was one of my first box mock-ups. I chose to make this one up because of the similarities it has with a house or bird-box shape. However I felt it appeared too similar to an easter egg box. Plus, my scarf would simply sit in the bottom of this box. 

I like this origami style box because it unfolds out into a complete square shape, which means my scarf could unfold out with the box, making it more exciting to unwrap.

I began to combine these two packaging ideas to create an unfolding box with a pointed lid. However the lid wasn't very stable and I thought it would look more pleasing if I made the sides of the lid the same length as the box within. This also gives the appearance of a box in a box which is more intriguing.


I then chose to practice some boxes with coloured paper so they look more inviting and professional than the plain white. I chose colours which match my colour palette and I believe they look a lot more sophisticated and exciting. The designs of the various houses will also all fit onto the flat sides of the box evenly, so long as I ensure the boxes are measured precisely with the measurements of my designs.

After researching whether my boxes could be laser-cut for a sharper edge, I have decided to cut my final boxes by hand because the laser-cutter would not match up exactly to my design printed onto card and I feel it is more important to have my design digitally printed onto card for a more professional appearance. The image above shows my prototype box which I have made on photoshop and then digitally printed onto a textured card. However, I may need to re-think the textured card because it tears on the folds. I will also add more detail and possibly make the colours more tonal and less block colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment